Our Response to COVID-19
Our Response to COVID-19
To Our Valued Guests,
At Orchard House, we have always had the highest cleaning standards possible. As the coronavirus continues to impact the world, it is important for us to show you the additional measures we have implemented in the face of COVID-19 to ensure you feel safe and secure when staying with us.
We are confident that these extra cleaning steps and precautions make Orchard House Bed & Breakfast a safer place to stay, so that you can enjoy your time on the beautiful Isle of Skye.
These changes cover all aspects of our operations, including breakfast service, guest room and common area housekeeping and sanitation, and supplement our already rigorous processes. Our goal is to ensure the utmost in cleanliness and hygiene every day.
As a Guest Please…
Please do your part to minimize transmission risks by:
- social distancing from those not in your household
- use the provided hand sanitizer on arrival, on departure, before entering the Dining Room and regularly during your stay
- use a face-covering if you feel you cannot achieve social distance while in our common areas
- On arrival we will greet you from a safe distance of 2m (6 feet)
- please use the hand sanitiser located in the front porch
- we will show you the breakfast room and go over the breakfast procedures.
- your sanitized room key will be on the desk in your room, with your breakfast menu if you have booked breakfast.
Check Out & Billing
All account charges will be processed automatically through our reservation system on booking. There should be no need to settle balances at check out so there will be no paper, pens, or credit card machines to touch. If a credit card needs to be manually processed during check in or check out, we will make sure that it is done safely.
We will continue to offer the freshest made-to-order breakfasts prepared with local ingredients customized to your dietary needs.
In order to minimise risks we ask you to specify, in detail, what you would like for breakfast by completing the breakfast order form and return it to us the night before.
Breakfast is served in our Dining Room from 7am – 8:30am. The minimum distance between any breakfast tables will be 2m
Please use the hand sanitiser provided before collecting any items from the breakfast buffet.
Guest use of the kitchen for any type of cooking or food preparation is strictly forbidden. The microwave in the Dining Room is for occasional guest use and will be regularly sanitised
Kitchen sanitation procedures include:
- high-temperature dishwasher cycle is used to sanitize all dishes, silverware, and glassware.
- surfaces are cleaned and sanitized with approved solutions.
The kitchen is cleaned and sanitized before and after every B&B breakfast. It is also cleaned and sanitized after we make our own meals (this is our personal kitchen after all). No individuals other than the owners are allowed to touch any surface or use any item in the kitchen, the risks are just too high. Thank you for your understanding.
Food at the B&B
There are many terrific restaurants in Portree and on the Isle of Skye, many within a 15-minute walk from the B&B. We understand that you may not want to eat out at a restaurant every meal.
- We can recommend great take-out places locally.
- You can eat in the dining room and we can supply you with plates, glassware and cutlery
- We will provide a bin bag for you to bag up any waste
- We will not be able to store leftovers in our fridges
Every time a guest checks out:
- the entire room is stripped of all linens (sheets, pillows, pillowcases, pillow protectors, mattress protectors, duvets and duvet covers).
- pillows and duvets will be rotated and stored for 72 hours, and sanitised before re-use
- beds are remade with clean and sanitized linens
- all hard surfaces in guest rooms are cleaned with an approved sanitizing agent, paying close attention to door handles, light switches, drawer knobs, window handles, and TV remote controls.
We have removed all decorative cushions and throw blankets from the rooms. Extra pillows and blankets are now only available by request.
We have always taken great care in cleaning the ensuite bathrooms in each of our guest rooms. During these times, we have added an additional step with an approved sanitizing agent.
- all bathroom basins, taps, counters, showers, shower doors, and handles are sanitized after they are cleaned.
- all surfaces on the toilet and the toilet paper holder are cleaned and sanitized.
- partially used toilet paper rolls are replaced with new, full rolls after every guest check out
- all bathroom floors are vacuumed, then hot water washed and sanitized
- guest towels are washed in-house on a 60 degree cycle with a non-scented, non-biological laundry detergent then dried on high heat in our tumble dryer. We do not use fabric softener
Once cleaned to our high standards, each guest room will be sealed and will remain closed until the next guest checks in.
Daily Guest Room Housekeeping Service
Daily housekeeping service has been discontinued at this time unless specifically requested.
Trash Removal & Recycle
- please place the bin outside of your room to signal you want removal
Fresh Towels During Your Stay
- a clean laundry bag can be found in the bottom drawer of your dressing table/desk. Simply place dirty towels in the bag and hang it on your room door when you leave for the day to request fresh towels during your stay. Clean towels will be delivered to your room while you are out. When you check out, simply leave the dirty towels in your shower/tub
Full Housekeeping Service
- please place the “please service my room” sign on your door handle when you go out for the day if you require fresh cups & saucers, replenished teas & coffees, replenished toiletries and toilet paper, vacuuming, etc . Please note we will not make your beds or touch your personal belongings.
Common areas like the Dining Room will be cleaned and sanitized daily. High touch items such as door handles, banisters and door jams are cleaned several times each day.
Please use hand sanitizer or wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds under hot water when you arrive back in your guest room and before you leave again.
We hope that by laying out these procedures you will have peace of mind that we are doing all we can to minimise any risk of COVID-19 transmission. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us
Emma, Lance & family